[babel-dev] Babel Language Pack Build Tool

In December of last year, I mentioned a language pack building tool developed by a group of 4 co-op students at University of Ottawa (Team Azure), supervised by me and another very experienced Eclipse developer from IBM, Tod Creasey. (See http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/babel-dev/msg00566.html)

We've gone through the review by the PMC and the IP team (IPZilla – CQ 3082). We concluded that this project qualifies as developed under the supervision of the PMC.

Therefore, I'm very proud to introduce this "Babel Language Pack Build Tool" as a new component to the Babel project. I've just checked the code into the "org.eclipse.babel\plugins" folder. The plugin names are "org.eclipse.babel.build.ant", "org.eclipse.babel.build.core", "org.eclipse.babel.build.ui".

Before we have more documentation available, I just want to present a quick overview of the tool here, so Babel users may start to evaluate and help improve the tool.

The "Babel Language Pack Build Tool" is a tool for Eclipse developers to build language packs for their plugins. The build tool offers three user interfaces:
- Graphical User Interface
- Command Line Interface
- Ant Interface

You may launch the GUI Export Wizard from the File>Export pulldown menu. Here are a few screen captures of the Graphical User Interface.

The Command Line Interface has the following syntax:
java -jar cli.jar --eclipse-archive <eclipse-zip-file> --translation-archive <translation-archive-dir>

The parameters for the Ant Interface is similiar to the Command Line Interface. Here is a sample build file:
<project name="test" default="main">
 <taskdef name="nlsbuild" classname="org.eclipse.babel.build.ant.BuildTask" />

 <target name="main">
   <nlsbuild
     eclipse="/work/eclipse-SDK-3.4-win32.zip"
     translations="/work/nls/Eclipse_3.4/piiDocTransDir/gr1"
     locales="fr,ar"
     workingDirectory="/work/nls/w">

     <coverageReport>
       <ignore pattern="^META-INF.*" />
       <ignore pattern="^org.eclipse.team.ui/reference/.*" />
     </coverageReport>

     <excludes>
       <exclude fileType=".*.java" />
       <exclude fileType=".*.class" />
     </excludes>
   </nlsbuild>
 </target>
</project>

Please try the tool out, comment and help improve the tool! Thanks!

Kit Lo
IBM Eclipse SDK Globalization Technical Lead
Eclipse Babel Project Co-lead

Back to the top