From: babel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:babel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Antoine Toulme
Sent: 17 February 2009 15:06
To: Babel committers mailing list
Subject: Re: [babel-dev] Japanese text file encodings with English i/f?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM, David Aldrich <David.Aldrich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I have a question which should really be posted to the Babel newsgroup, not to the developers' list, but I am unable to post to the newsgroup (see below). So please forgive this intrusion and help me if you are able.

1) Newsgroup problem

I created an Eclipse Bugzilla account, logged in and attempted to post a message to:

       eclipse.technology.babel

When I clicked the 'Post' button, I was required to log in twice more and then I got the message:

"You aren't allowed to post to the groups: "

Why is this please?
I'm not sure but it looks like a maintenance scheduled this week-end had some side effects. The Eclipse webmasters are still working on it.

2) Japanese text file encodings with English i/f?

Here is my 'real' question:

I am running an Eclipse Europa distribution under Windows XP. I want an English user interface but with the ability to use Japanese text file encodings. (I succeeded in doing this with Eclipse 3.2).

I installed:

BabelLanguagePack-eclipse-ja_3.3.0.v20090208043401.zip

and, if I run eclipse -nl ja, I get a Japanese interface.

However, if I simply run Eclipse with no -nl argument, I get an English interface (as expected) but Japanese text file encodings such as Shift_JIS are then not offered in Preferences > General > Workspace.

How can I get Eclipse to offer me Japanese text file encodings while using an English interface please?
I think this would rather be a question for the Eclipse Platform. There might be a secret handshake to get that right.

BR

David