Re: [babel-dev] Babel update site - is it working?

Agh, I believe the files are currently UTF-8.

I guess we need to convert the UTF-8 strings in the database back to escaped unicode when building the language packs. I'll open a bug for this.

Thanks

Daniel McGowan wrote:
This is Unicode/UTF-8 corruption.

What encoding are the language .properties saved in in the jar's? They should be in escaped Unicode.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/dev_java/lesson1.jsp
Keep in mind that property files must be written using Latin-1 and/or Unicode escape sequence characters. native2ascii, which comes with Java SDK, converts files which contain other character encodings into the format above.

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html
Characters that cannot be directly represented in this encoding [ISO 8859-1]can be written using Unicode escapes <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/lexical.html#3.3> ; only a single 'u' character is allowed in an escape sequence. The native2ascii tool can be used to convert property files to and from other character encodings.

Attached is a sample .properties we use in one of our Eclipse RCP applications.

Regards,

Daniel.

Denis Roy wrote:
Olivier Thomann wrote:
Add -nl fr_FR or -nl fr_CA on the Eclipse command line, not sure which one is available on your machine.
Both worked, thanks. Should we be documenting this somewhere, or am I the only one who didn't know this?

Also, I'm guessing I should be seeing funny characters like in the attached screenshot?