[babel-dev] Re: Eclipse and Flex Builder langpacks

Dear Mr. Nilsen,

I'm very excited to hear about the possibility of Adobe Systems Inc's contribution to help localize Eclipse!

As you know, we started the project just a few months ago. We have the Babel Translation Server up and running at: http://babel.eclipse.org/babel/. However, please keep in mind that globalization is more than just translating strings. The goal of the Babel project is to provide a set of tools to make the job of globalizing Eclipse projects easier. We really need everyone in the community to help, both in translations and implementing globalization tools.

Mori-san of NEC Soft is the main contact of the "Eclipse Japan Working Group". They are also very interested in the Japanese translations. I think we should all get together to discuss the contribution effort, and how to divide up the works, if we can find a good time to fit my U.S. Eastern time zone, Chris Nguyen (Babel project co-lead from BEA)'s U.S. Pacific time zone, Mori-san's Japan time zone, and whatever time zone you are in :-). I highly recommend you to attend EclipseCon 2008 in March, where we and all the Babel project committers can meet face to face, and discuss the future strategies of the project.

You were looking for access to the latest set of files. In Denis' post on Feb 13, http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/babel-dev/msg00239.html, he incorporated a database dump (mysqldump) as part of the nightly build. The file contains the (English) files table, all the English strings, project information, and all the translations. Hopeful, that's what you were looking for.

Regards,
Kit Lo
IBM Eclipse SDK Globalization Technical Lead
Eclipse Babel Project Co-lead

Back to the top