[babel-dev] Eclipse and Flex Builder langpacks

Hi Babel-dev

My name is Morten Nilsen and I manage a group of people in Adobe Systems Inc which creates a Japanese version of Flex Builder. I was referred to this alias by Wayne Beaton and Donald Smith. Since Flex Builder is dependent on Eclipse we are looking to explore the possibility of how we can contribute to the effort of localizing Eclipse and its langpack into Japanese.

We are currently building Flex Builder on the Eclipse 3.3 platform.  As no current 3.3 language pack is yet available we have been creating and using a modified 3.2.1 language pack to meet our Japanese translation needs. We needed to make a number of minor manual changes to the 3.2.1 language packs in the end game as the core code UI locked down.  This turned out to be a time consuming and sometime error prone effort. We’d like to avoid this method in the future and also share our work and efforts with the Eclipse community.

We’d like to explore how we could automate a process whereby we access directly your latest file sets for all localizable components (Eclipse localizable source files .properties) for the next upcoming Eclipse version. With direct access to the localizable source files, we can set up our system to automatically retrieve these files, detect the changes and send these changes out quickly for translation.  We would then be able to submit the completed translation back to the Eclipse source tree. This could be done on an ongoing basis during the development process.

Using an automated method like this would also allow for other languages to be done the same way in the future. We (Adobe) would like to propose that we could take on the Japanese translation for all localizable UI components and documentation assuming we can automate how we get and push files back and forth for the next version of Eclipse (3.4).

Having followed the new developments under the Babel project we are aware of the system you are about to publish there, but it’s seems more aimed at many translators doing small parts rather than one party taking on a whole language. However this may be just our lack of knowledge regarding your system for community translation and how this system works.

We would like to set up a meeting to discuss these ideas, weigh some pros and cons, and find a role for ourselves in the Babel project which would serve your needs as well as ours.

Thanks,

Morten Nilsen & team

Back to the top