[auto-iwg] Eclipse IDE for Automotive Software Developers

All,

this is for letting you know that the Eclipse IDE for Automotive Software Developers is now available as brand-new package at Eclipse.org [1]. As discussed on our last F2F meeting, it is already based on the Juno simultaneous release stream and therefore part of the Juno M6 developer builds.

The following things still need to be addressed:

1/ Update the wiki page of WP1 wrt. the versions of the components that are included in the package
2/ Update the target definition file attached to the wiki page

=> I'll take care of those two.

3/ Reduce the package size

Currently, we are at 329MB which makes the automotive package the biggest among all others. The reason is that we have chosen to include the SDKs of nearly all components (which include their sources and developer documentation) instead of taking only the runtimes. While this makes sense in target platforms used by automotive tool developers it makes less sense in Eclipse installations used by automotive software developers. The former need the sources and documentation so that they can better develop their own tool plug-ins but the latter don't because they usually do not aim at extending Eclipse but just use it to work on other things (embedded ECU oftware). For this reason Eclipse packages do normally not include any SDKs (but just runtimes) or the SDKs of some selected components only (e.g., Eclipse Modeling Tools).

To fix this issue, I'd like to ask you to share your opinion regarding this aspect. The question is, do we need any SDKs in the Eclipse IDE for Automotive Software Developers or no such at all? If so, for which components of the current package definition [2] would you like to have sources and developer documentation at hand?

My idea is to collect you opinions, document them on the wiki page, and submit our changes to the EPP project for the Juno M7 milestone. According to the Juno simultaneous release plan [3] we have until May 11 to come to a reasonable conclusion.

4/ Provide a package logo

Currently, we have just a default logo which IMO is subject to replacement by a nice and somewhat more specific package logo in the Juno M7 build. I'll work on some proposals for that and will then share them via this mailing list. If anyone of you has also ideas of what the logo should look like or wants to submit proposals then just feel free to do so.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index-developer.php
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Auto_IWG_WP1#Content
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Juno/Simultaneous_Release_Plan

Cheers,

--
Dr. Stephan Eberle
Director Research & Development France

Mobile: +33 (0)6 64 18 39 10 (preferred)
Phone: +33 (0)1 41 22 12 45

Web: http://www.itemis.de
Mail: stephan.eberle@xxxxxxxxxx
Xing: http://www.xing.com/profile/Stephan_Eberle