[aspectj-users] LTW and JRE classes

Hallo Andy and other maintainers.

The AspectJ documentation still mentions things like

  -Xset:weaveJavaxPackages=true
  -Xset:weaveJavaPackages=true

or for LTW

  <include within="javax.*"/>
  <include within="java.*"/>
  <include within="org.aspectj.*"/>

(I think "java..*" would be correct syntax, BTW.)

None of these work. Yes, there are valid cases in which users might want
to use LTW on JRE classes. The only way I could ever weave into the JRE
(execution joinpoints, not just call from my own woven code) was binary
weaving and creating my own (subset of) JRE, prepending it to the boot
classpath. But that's not nice and I never tried with modularised Java
9+, which might work or not.

Before I create a Bugzilla ticket I would like to get a maintainer
opinion. Is there any chance to make this work with AspectJ LTW? Is is
maybe possible already and I just do it wrong?

Regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de