Von: REV Tamas <tamas.rev@xxxxxxxxx>
Datum: 18.06.19 15:42 (GMT+07:00)
An: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [aspectj-users] privileged aspects and Load-Time Weaving

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed answer!

I don't think I may explain our situation.
All I can say is that I'm looking for the least painful shortcut. Now I know that this is not AspectJ.
So I keep looking.

Thanks,
Tamas

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 3:57 AM Alexander Kriegisch <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem is not privileged access, you are rather dealing with a hen-and-egg type of problem here. Let's imagine you want a setup like this:

  • Aspect library (to be used via LTW)
    • AspectPrivate
  • Application
    • ClassWithPrivate
    • TestPrivate

Now probably you don't want any dependencies between aspect library and application, but

  • the aspect imports an application class,
  • the test program is trying to access methods unavailable during its compile time,
  • thus the aspect library has a dependency on the application library and vice versa.

Ergo: It simply does not make sense to use AspectJ's introduction feature (also known as ITD or inter-type declaration) like this in an LTW scenario. In most cases AOP is about adding cross-cutting behaviour and there you can work with jokers like "*" or "..", i.e. you do not need to use precise class names. Even if you do, the worst that could happen is an "advice does not match" warning during compilation of the aspect library. It would still work during runtime after aspect weaving. But member access and/or method introduction only work with specific class names, so if you need that you should use compile-time weaving. Think about it, you are not just decorating classes with behaviour before or after existing methods, you are introducing new members or methods, i.e. changing the class structure itself. This is to be done during compile time.

So much for the technical part. I still think your question might be suffering from the XY problem. Maybe you should rather explain what you want to achieve and not how you think it should best be achieved. Ask yourself questions like:

  • Why would I want to access private class members in the first place?
  • What happens if I refactor the target class, e.g. rename a member? (In your example the aspect would break and need to be refactored too.)
  • Why am I limited to LTW here? Or maybe I just think I am and there are other possible solutions.
  • What is it I want to achieve? (Maybe your answer is: "I want to reduce boiler-plate code and auto-generate getters and setters for all or some of my beans." And maybe then you find out that you could do that via AspectJ's annotation processing feature or by using another tool such as Lombok or by using Groovy instead of Java or ...)
Kind regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch