Re: [aspectj-users] Memory problem when using aspectj

Hi,

ok.  Out of interest, are your generated aspects big (lots of advice, lots of ITDs)?

AspectJ actually uses a different compile strategy (to use less memory) when doing full source compilation, which it does not use when binary weaving (it should do the same thing for binary weaving but I haven't had the time to implement it). Your step (3) is binary weaving.  What you could try is that instead of passing the already compiled binaries in, pass the sources in again at step (3) - it is perhaps counter-intuitive, but this will allow the better compilation strategy to kick in.

Having said that, we can successfully weave jars like the JVM system jars (rt.jar/classes.jar) without running out of heap so I'm not quite sure what you are doing that is using it all up.  If generating the aspects you could try generating less into them and see if you can work out the construct that blows it up.

Andy