Re: [aspectj-users] Why would one ever want to use Load Time Weaving?

I thought someone else might jump in on this, but they didn't, so I
guess I have to :)

load time weaving gives you more flexibility than compile time
weaving.  You can make decisions very late, basically as the JVM comes
up, about what aspects you want to be woven into what types. You can
even use loadtime configuration through aop.xml to customize abstract
aspects (and in AspectJ 1.6.12 build entire aspects) just as the JVM
starts.  Example: on one run of a product you want
logging/tracing/monitoring, so loadtime weave it in.  On the next run
you don't want it so don't loadtime weave it in - there is no need to
unwoven variant.  The price you pay for the flexibility is slowing
down startup time (as weaving isn't free) and slightly increasing
runtime footprint (although I do have the latter on my TODO list to
sort out).

cheers,
Andy