From: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Austin
Sent: 05 November 2007 11:44
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aspectj-users] Removing functionality with AspectJ?

Hi there,

I'm completely new to AspectJ and was wondering if there is anyway to cause a method to be "skipped" with AspectJ.

Apologies if the question sounds silly, but I am using AspectJ to monitor what is going on in an object for security purposes.

If certain conditions have been met, a rule engine implemented in a before advice determines that the code in that method should be skipped. Naturally, for this to be in anyway feasible, the method in question would need not to return anything, something like

public

void action()

I guess I need something like a  decorator pattern that removes functionality rather than adds it. The only way I can currently think do to this is to use my aspect to change the value of a boolean variable in the target method which causes the code to exit without doing anything.

Really appreciate your help

Thanks

Rob

are addressed.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily
represent those of ESB.

Although ESB scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee
that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained
as a result of viruses.

Company Registration Information: http://www.esb.ie/companies

Back to the top