RE: [aspectj-users] AspectJ 1.5 runtime and compile time Performance

Thanks, That's a good advice. Although I need to figure out how to deal with parameters that are objects that might change.

Thanks again,
Savita

From: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matthew Webster
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:35 AM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aspectj-users] AspectJ 1.5 runtime and compile time Performance

Savita,

Now that I understand you are writing a flight recorder I agree that annotations are the best approach. However you will _not_ have to use reflection at runtime to capture parameters. Simply put the JoinPoint object (thisJoinPoint) in your circular buffer for before advice and the object obtained from "after () : returning(ret)" or "after() : throwing(th)" for after advice. When you encounter an error condition or some other trigger and need to dump the buffer use the appropriate methods: getSignature(), getThis(), getArgs(). Just beware that non-primitive parameters may change value after being recorded so you may need to us toString (expensive and unreliable), copy (very expensive) are record simple identity. Using AspectJ and matching on annotations will be much simpler that using APT.

Cheers

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

"Chandan, Savita" <Savita.Chandan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/08/2006 19:52

Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

<aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [aspectj-users] AspectJ 1.5 runtime and compile time Performance

Hi Mathew,

Thanks Mathew, I did read your article and was hoping that there would be a sequel to the same with AspectJ1.5.

The design is to log entry/exit of selected few methods that would help record the application footsteps. This would log to a circular buffer in the memory.  This is a flight recorder logging and is required to be on all the time.

You are right sprinkling annotations all over the code might turn out to be a maintenance nightmare, but the scope of our annotations will be limited to certain classes and the idea here is that the developer ( end user) doesn't have to depend on whether we use AspectJ for our frame work or just generate code using apt and AnnotationProcessor.

Iam new to AspectJ and will dig further into using pointcuts as opposed to annotations. But In my design I need to decide whether I will be using plain Annotations with apt and annotation processor or Aspect J and here the performance of the AspectJ during runtime seemed to be of concern coz we will have to use reflection to log the parameters.

Savita