[aspectj-users] Announcing much closer integration between the Spring and AspectJ projects...

I'm pleased to announce plans for much closer integration between the
Spring and AspectJ projects in the near future. Spring and AspectJ
already fit well together: Spring can be used to configure aspects,
aspects can be used to drive Spring configuration, and we are working
on opening up the AspectJ pointcut language so that external tools can
create pointcuts at runtime, and then perform matching. This facility
will be used by Spring to support AspectJ pointcut expressions in its
AOP proxy framework.

As of October, this relationship will move onto a new level as I have
resigned from my current post at IBM to take up the post of Chief
Scientist at Interface21.  I will continue to work on and lead the
AspectJ project (no change there), and will also be working on some of
the Spring core and AOP support to make the integration with AspectJ
as seamless as possible and to take the AOP message to as broad an
audience as we can.  I'm leaving behind a fantastic IBM team who have
worked with me on AspectJ and AJDT these past few years, and they will
carry  right on working on these projects when I leave. Rest assured
that I'm still working flat out on completing AspectJ 5 too.

I've written before about the combination of dependency injection,
aspects, and annotations as forming the ideal platform on which to
build applications
(http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blogs/adrian/2005/03/the_new_holy_tr.html
). Spring and AspectJ are the two leading technologies in this space,
and bringing them together under one roof promises to be very
exciting.  I'm sure that AspectJ can learn some things from the Spring
community, but also that as an AspectJ community we have much to offer
to Spring as well.

Thank you for the great support that you all give to the AspectJ
project - it really does make a difference. I'm looking forward to
delivering the tools you need to develop great software for a long
time to come yet...

Regards,  Adrian.
AspectJ project lead.

adrian.colyer@xxxxxxxxx