Re: [aspectj-users] ajdt feedback part II

Hi Robert,

Thank-you for the feedback, it is input like this that can help us focus
our priorities for future releases of AJDT. I hope you agree that v1.1.11
is a good step forward over previous releases, but we're well aware that
there's lots more yet to do.

As you suspect, some of the problems you've encountered are due to your
particular set-up - things should work much better in less complicated
environments. But of course we want to make such scenarios workable too.
Let's go through your points in turn:

> - no code completion
>    whether in a aj file or a java file there is no
>    code completion.
>    windows->preferences->Java -> editor -> templates
>    shows no sign of any aspectj related template.

We support simple template-style code completion. These completions should
be listed under the preferences for Java -> Editor -> Templates - here I
see 34 AspectJ related templates, ranging from adviceexecution to
withincode. I can for example type "tjp" in some advice (in an aj file or
java file) and press ctrl-space to see completions for thisJoinPoint and
thisJoinPointStaticPart. I can't imagine why this isn't working for you,
regardless of your project organisation. Please could you raise an AJDT
bug for this, with details of your environment, and we'll start
investigating.

> - inheritance
>    there are huge issues with inheritance in aspects
>    - intertype declarations are not shown in the visializer
>    - weave points for advices are not shown if the
>      base aspect defines them an the concrete aspect
>      declares only the concrete pointcuts.
>    this maybe due to my project organisation where i have
>    a project/jar that contains a lot of abstract aspects.

Support for showing inter-type declarations in the gutter and visualiser
is new for this release. I've just been trying various combinations now.
With both the base aspect and the concrete aspect as source files in the
same project, it works okay - the advice is contained in the base aspect,
so the advice markers point there. I then moved the base aspect into a jar
file in that project, and removed the source and class files for the base
aspect. Now in the outline view for the class being advised, I see nodes
saying things like "advised by (with runtime test)" pointing to "injar
aspect: AbstractTest.aj", which seems reasonable. But I don't see any
gutter annotations for that, and therefore nothing in the visualiser. I'll
raise a bug to add the markers in this case. Does this reflect the problem
you're seeing?

> - no gutter markers nowhere.

None at all, or just in the case of abstract aspects in jar files as
above? If none at all, can you verify that things are working for you in
the simple case by trying one of the bundled examples, such as File -> New
-> Other -> AspectJ -> AspectJ Examples -> TJP Example, and then if that
works, we'll have to explore your setup in more detail. Again, this is
probably best done in an AJDT bug report.

Regards,

Matt.
AJDT contributor

Back to the top