From: Alan Williamson <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] AJC compiler and eclipse
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:38:58 +0100

jan casteels wrote:

How can the performance of the AJC compiler in eclipse be increased?

What is the experience of the people with the incremental compilation?
What is the performance of AJC vs Javac?

I am still getting complaints in eclipse that compiler is saying that is taking to long and asks me if I want to continue.

I already allocated 512Mb to eclipse

For my own experience, i am running on a Dual 3GHz 1GB desktop. I am using a handful of aspects, weaving into a JAR file that is 1.8MB.

The speed of Eclipse under these conditions, is dreadful! Back to the good old days of going to make a coffee every time i hit save on a file. I have tried increasing memory to eclipse; no difference. The UI freezes up often and doesn't respond to anything.

If i remove the ASPECT project, then eclipse bursts into life and is fast and snappy again. I have tried it with both incremental compilation flag on and off, and no difference. Still dreadful.

I have all the latest builds (3M9 etc) and like i say, if you remove the ASPECT project, then Eclipse is fast.

I am just putting it down to being an 'early pioneer'. If you want to work with Aspects then this is the price you have to pay.

:)

--
Alan Williamson, City Planner

w: http://www.BLOG-CITY.com/