Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ in large scale development projects.

We've successfully compiled a system with over 17,000 source files using
the AspectJ compiler. The system was structured into modules (the largest
of which comprised 1-2 thousand classes), and the build proceeded module
by module (ant target by ant target). Our experience was that with no
aspects in the system, the AspectJ compiler was actually slightly faster
than javac (a tribute to the Eclipse JDT team on whose compiler AspectJ is
based) - though others have reported *small* increases in compilation
time. With a few very pervasive aspects in the system (advising about
10,000 join points) the compilation time increased by about 30%. These
were batch builds driven by ant and using the AspectJ ant tasks (invoking
ant from the command-line).

 Building a 9,000 file project inside Eclipse will consume much more
memory because of all the structure model generation that goes on. You
will certainly need to increase the memory available to Eclipse to handle
this if you are running with the default settings currently. We are
working on a new version of AJDT that creates structure information
through just-in-time parsing in the same way that the JDT does, and I
anticipate this will be a big boost for larger projects.

If you are not already using AspectJ 1.2, it is significantly faster in
weaving than AspectJ 1.1.1.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

"jan casteels" <jan_casteels@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
26/05/2004 02:50
Please respond to
aspectj-users

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-users] AspectJ in large scale development projects.

Hi All,

What is the experience of the people on the list of running AspectJ in a
large scale development project with 9000+ java files?

What are the different setups of the project in ant to have acceptable
compile times

What are the different possible setups in Eclipse?

I tried to compile our project with the ajc compiler but after 45 minutes
still no result (seems to be pending)

Jan