RE: [aspectj-users] Differences between Design by Contract and AOP

These two topics are somewhat orthogonal.  Using design-by-contract with
Java requires that programmers are diligent in implementing in... and we all
know how what happens to diligence (and quality) when a project's timeline
starts slipping.  AOP provides mechanisms for implementing
design-by-contract, especially for contracts that apply across all/many
methods.  The AOP way vs, say XDoclet for instance, doesn't "interfere" with
source code by embedding the contract into the method yet encapsulates the
contract in a single place.  Personally, I see Java meta-tags as a possible
better solution.  They are declarative in nature and prevent accidental
programmer changes yet are specific to individual methods where specifying
AOP join points becomes one-to-one.