Re: [aspectj-users] CNET News.com Article on AOP

As far as I can tell, the source is solely JBoss. I saw another article in which they made a similar claim (http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20278900,00.htm).

> Also, does anyone know if Forrester analyst John Meyer
> was talking about AOP when they appended it to
> his quote?
>
>   "It's going to be several years before the tool
>   industry can adopt the extensions that are approved
>   and ratified in the Java (standardization) space
>   (and) before people will be ready to adopt"
>   aspect-oriented programming.
I believe the reporter called John Meyer and interviewed him for the story, but that is my best guess. He clearly believes that tools integration is key for adoption of AOP.

> Also, I didn't realize that BEA itself did this:
>
>   BEA last month introduced the WebLogic Aspect Framework[, designed to let Java programmers experiment with AOP ]
>
> I thought Sam Pullara (who happens to be a BEA employee)
> posted it to a weblogic dev list.   Does that mean BEA
> introduced it?  That makes it sound like a marketed and
> supported feature of WebLogic.
It is distributed by BEA on their dev2dev site: http://dev2dev.bea.com/resourcelibrary/utilitiestools/monitoring.jsp
I believe this is a site for various utilities and tools BEA distributes for developers. The readme does state that it is not supported. I also believe that others at BEA are involved in marketing/tracking interest, but hopefully Sam or Cedric can shed more light.

> P.S. - Can we think of a better way to characterize
> AspectJ than "experimental"?  I'd think that a few
> years of research, patents, and a thriving community
> including many deployments in commercial contexts is
> something more than that.
I wouldn't (and didn't) characterize it that way myself. This is the assessment of Martin LaMonica, and no one else. It's unfortunate that the phrasing implies I said this.

Back to the top