Re: [aspectj-users] ajc vs. javac - commercial application - convincing the boss

Let me emphasize a point Macneil made; while the AspectJ compiler is built from the Eclipse Java compiler, it does not include the complete Eclipse runtime.

It's true that if you want to build a structure view in the AspectJ plug-in for Eclipse (AJDT), it will require more memory. But as Macneil notes, you don't have to use that (or any) IDE plug-in to use AspectJ.

As of the latest release (1.1.4) AJDT allows you to turn off the creation of structure views to save memory. I believe it has fixed that memory leak, and it requires a lot less memory for large projects.

Ron

Ron Bodkin
Chief Technology Officer
New Aspects of Security