[aspectj-users] ajc vs. javac - commercial application - convincing the boss

First, thanks to all the aspectJ developers - aspectJ is, simply, thrilling. I'm having a blast.

Ramnivas Laddad claims that ajc is built on top of the Eclipse compiler (p. 440, and I think this may not be true in 1.1.1), but I don't know any details about its architecture. How much can I trust it - how do I know that the ajc compiler won't introduce bugs not present in code built with javac?

I'm a developer who needs to "sell" aspectJ to my organization. I'm using it as part of a gui testing framework. The system I'm testing is currently in production, built with a SDK javac. In the future I'd like to build with ajc, run the suite of AO gui tests, and, if all tests pass, ship *that* build.

I'm looking for specific arguments convincing my managers that the risk of using ajc vs. javac is tiny.

By the way, part of their anxiety comes from the fact that Eclipse (with 256M) runs out of memory and crashes after 2 compiles, since memory used compiling is never reclaimed. Memory Monitor plugin did not help.  My managers find this less than confidence inspiring. A fix for this problem would be much more valuable to me than the fancy new Outline View. :-)

Thanks!

Peter

Do you Yahoo!?