[aspectj-users] AspectJ notes from JavaOne

I spent some time at JavaOne last week and thought I'd pass on some interesting news.
1) BEA is going to ship a classloader that will weave AspectJ (and AspectWerkz) aspects in the next release. It should be backward compatible to at least WLS 7.0 (and probably 6.1).
2) There was some interesting reporting from The Server Side about AOP, including coverage of the JBoss2 AOP panel. I went to the panel and thought it was interesting: definitely the JBoss Group have some interesting use cases in mind for AOP but in building a new version of AOP that allows dynamic weaving, they've dropped a number of valuable capabilities (e.g., cflow, caller side join points, pointcut composition, base-level semantics, and some static crosscutting).
See http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=19815&article_count=61
3) Intellij has built their own AspectJ compiler as part of their next release, which will support AspectJ. They are beta testing support for it (I've downloaded the early access but haven't tried it yet).

Ron

Ron Bodkin
Chief Technology Officer
New Aspects of Security