Re: [aspectj-users] Joinpoint reflection

I'd be very interested in a function that could predict
all join points.  That would solve a lot of problems in
computer science!  But since join point are points in
the dynamic execution of a program often picked out
by pointcuts depending on runtime semantics, I don't
think it's possible.

For staticly-determinable pointcuts, you can use
declare warning to identify the "static shadow", the
code affected by the compiler implementation of a
pointcut.  The IDE support also displays shadows
using the AJDE structure model, so, e.g., you can
view the methods affected by a pointcut.

So depending on what you want to use this for,
what you want (a) can't be done; or (b) might be done
(1) through the language or (2) using AJDE API's.
What are the multiple uses you have for this?
I'd be interested in knowing why this is so
necessary for your application, in case there's an
important language or tool feature to implement.

Wes

Scott Dossey wrote:
I've scoured various documentations repeatedly, but
I've been unable to find one thing I sorely need
inside AspectJ--A way of determining ALL of the join
points that a given pointcut will modify (EVEN IF THE
JOINPOINT IS NEVER CALLED INSIDE THE CODE).

IE, I'd like to be able to do something like the
following:

JoinPoint.StaticPart[]
joinPoints=JoinpointRegistry.getAllJoinPoints();

Or better yet:

JoinPointIterator iterator=
JoinpointRegistry.getIterator(AspectName.PointCutId(String));

Where what's inside the arguments somehow fully
qualifies a pointcut.

Does anybody know if there's a way I can get this
functionality with existing AspectJ tools?  I have
multiples uses for it, and if other people have run
into this same limitation I'd like to know.

-Scott Dossey
seveirein@xxxxxxxxx