Re: [aspectj-users] Patent on AOP/AspectJ?

It's not because a Company decided to patent & even licence a technology that it's bad ...
It's just under they own "responsability" / "ownership" !
Thomas,

ndlesiecki@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello all,

The following patent was pointed out to me by an associate (Dennis
Sonoski):

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,467,086.WKU.&OS=PN/6,467,086&RS=PN/6,467,086

To my untutored eyes, it seemed to be a patent on AOP in general. It also
seems to cover AspectJ specifically:

"The present invention presents a general-purpose aspect-oriented
programming paradigm. The environment embodying the present invention is
called AspectJ, and avoids the shortcomings of prior art programming
paradigms. AspectJ is an extension to the Java programming language. In
AspectJ, object code is encapsulated in Java classes, and aspect code is
encapsulated in special program modules called "aspects"."

Can anyone more familiar with patents in general (or this one specifically)
comment on the significance of this patent and its interactions with
AspectJ's licence? Will this affect the commercial future of AspectJ?

Cheers,
Nick