RE: [aspectj-users] -preprocess

Lesiecki Nicholas wrote:
> > Are there plans to implement -preprocess?
> No. 1.1 is based on bytecode weaving--preprocess was explicitly dropped.

Let me be a little less definite on that.  1.1.0 will definitely be released without support for the -preprocess option.  We decided that supporting bytecode weaving, incremental compilation, and integration with the eclipse compiler were more important that -preprocess mode for this release.  However, the weaver architecture is designed to support alternative weaving implementations.  For example, in order to implement declare soft correctly, a certain amount of join point shadow matching is implemented in the compiler where it operates on ASTs (which is what you'd want to do for source code weaving or preprocess mode).

It should be quite reasonable for someone to implement source-code based weaving while sharing most of the infrastructure code with the bytecode weaver.  Anyone interested in this should look at the 'weaver' module, and notice that the bytecode dependencies are all confined to the org.aspectj.weaver.bcel package.  If you're interested in contributing to source-code weaving, please join the aspectj-dev mailing list.

-Jim

Back to the top