[aspectj-dev] RE: [ajdt-dev] eclipse version & AJDT development questions

Shimon Rura wrote:
> Is all the AJDT development really done on Eclipse 2.0, a.k.a. the
> "Old 2.0
> Stable Build"?  I am interested in working with the AJDT in order to
> automate some AOP refactorings I have been developing, as well as
> extend the
> existing refactorings in Eclipse so that they work (or at least make
> more
> sense) in the presence of aspects.  I don't know much about the design
> of
> eclipse or of the JDT and AJDT, so pointers are appreciated.

There's a major architectural issue here in the design of AJDT and the new design of the compiler.  Let me try to roughly outline the issues.

The AspectJ-1.1 compiler is built on top of a patched version of the JDT core code from the 2.0 branch.  It's awkward to reapply the patches to new versions of the JDT, so we don't do it too often.  However it shouldn't be too much work to move forward to 2.0.2.

The hope for IDE integration in eclipse is to run a patched version of the JDT-UI module on top of our patched JDT-Core module to provide seamless support for AspectJ in eclipse.  This sort of integration would enable most of the great eclipse features like refactoring, code-insight, ...  However, this hasn't yet been done.  Currently, the eclipse integration is provided by going through a generic IDE API just as it was done for 1.0.  I'm sure that the ajdt team would be very interested in contributions to help move towards the more highly integrated architecture.

-Jim

Back to the top