Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Markup for nested blocks

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 21:55, Dan Allen <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lex wrote:
> Agree with everything you say, except that it is not possible to do nesting without varying length or other indication of grouping

I was merely pointing out that a parser *could* be written that matches pairs without relying on the varying line length (using a recursive descent). But even if it could be done, it shouldn't be done for the other reason I stated.

I totally agree with you that it _should_ not be done, and I'm also reinforcing that argument with the fact that, recursive or not, it _cannot_ be done without varying lengths.

In my second example, no parser, no matter what implementation, has any reason to take the same length line of equals before "inner" as anything other than the closing markup of the block starting before the first "outer".

Cheers
Lex

Best Regards,

-Dan

--
Dan Allen, Vice President | OpenDevise Inc.
Pronouns: he, him, his