Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Whitespace handling

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 08:27, Dan Allen <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 3:11 PM Lex Trotman <exciidoc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Its not just "space", which is an ASCII character, it is all of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_character.

And white has nothing to do with it. The term "spaces" is well understood and there is no need for the qualifier. If someone has an alternative suggestion, I'm open to that, but not the word I have objected to.

Yes we need a new collective noun for the relevant grouping of code points to use in the specification if "whitespace" is unacceptable to some people, "spaces" is the plural of "space" so its ambiguous, please don't use it in a specification to mean anything else.

Sadly Unicode doesn't offer a name for the grouping since its members are spread across Cc, Cf and Z categories.

Perhaps "blank space" could be used, but it would need to be written down and defined.

Cheers
Lex

Best Regards,

-Dan

--
Dan Allen, Vice President | OpenDevise Inc.
Pronouns: he, him, his