Re: [albireo-dev] performance

Hi,

> We are using the original code base from which the Albireo project was
> started from.  One sees the usage of an applet for every view under the
> hood.  What is the performance impact / overhead of this along with the
> usage of a root and layered panes?  Is this still being done for the
> latest Albireo code base?

What do you mean by "performance impact" for an interactive GUI?

The memory footprint is that each applet will have a Swing double-buffer
associated with it, while SWT controls usually are not double-buffered.

The ping-pong game of sending events between the AWT EventQueue thread
and the SWT Display's event thread certainly increases the time between a
user action and the visible response. But it will not drastically increase
the CPU consumption. Therefore whether it counts as "performance" depends
on your mileage.

> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
> It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the
> named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it,
> or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify
> us immediately and then destroy it.

Such a disclaimer is not applicable for mails that you send to a publicly
viewable mailing list.

Bruno

Back to the top