Re: [albireo-dev] SWT version numbers

Bruno Haible wrote:
Most of our users are likely in 3.3 still. We don't test 3.3 regularly.
So if I continue to use 3.4M4 (a version before #216431 was fixed), I at
least contribute a little bit to increase the probability that Albireo
still runs on 3.3.

FWIW, I usually test on 3.3 and the latest milestone of 3.4. It's up to you if you want to add milestone version checks, but I feel very strongly that they be removed when SWT 3.4 is released in June. I am not going to add earlier 3.4 milestones to my testing load.

I agree that we need to think in terms of ranges, preferably unbounded
ranges. I.e. never compare version numbers with ==, only < and >=. But
if we write Platform.isSwtVersion(Platform.SWT_34) we make the assumption
that things will be different in 3.5 than in 3.4 - which we cannot know
at this point.

Good point. This is a good argument for using <[=] and >[=] directly, as we do today.

We cannot look into the future. So IMO the only valid
comparison is of the form

   Platform.SWT_VERSION < Platform.swtVersion(3, 412)

where the two numbers 3, 412 are known by looking at commits in the SWT CVS.

Not sure exactly what comparison you are referring to here. It seems to me that the version 3.4 (and higher) check should be Platform.SWT_VERSION >= Platform.swtVersion(3, 400). This maps to when SWT calls itself 3.4. It also has the advantage of not requiring us to track any exact version numbers in the SWT code, at least not for major releases.

Back to the top