Re: [albireo-dev] Focus Management - the next steps

Gordon Hirsch wrote:
Given its current immature state, I'm concerned that if we work
simultaneously on the current focus management code, there will be a lot
of contention and duplicate effort.

I'm done with my initial pass now.

All of the current workarounds are win32-specific. The only Gtk problem I found is this one:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Albireo_Focus_Management_Test_Cases#Do_not_steal_focus_when_populating_Swing_controls

I don't yet have a fix for this problem. My best attempt so far involved temporary use of setFocusedWindowState(false) on the AWT frame during its initial display. However, this did not work consistently, and it caused problems with SwingControls that should be receiving focus on initial display. For example, EmbeddedJTableView would not take focus at all after its initial display until I brought another window into focus.

As for Problems A-E from ILOG, I was able to reproduce E on Windows but not Gtk. I was not able to reproduce the others on either platform. I tried all combinations of Eclipse 3.3/3.4, Java 1.5/1.6, WindowsXP/Gtk.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the steps necessary to reproduce these problems. In any case, if there are other focus problems with the current code on any platform, it would be good to update the wiki page with that information.

For now, I will move on to merging of the remaining code from both contributions. This includes popup support (both SWT and AWT) and other miscellaneous items. I hope to be done by the end of the week which should give us some time to make it better and more stable by EclipseCon.

Back to the top