Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Custom tool chain
Custom tool chain [message #1618747] Mon, 16 February 2015 05:24 Go to next message
Mathew Benson is currently offline Mathew BensonFriend
Could somebody point me to documentation and/examples on how to integrate a custom tool into the tool chain? Basically, I have a tool that I use to convert specific .o files to runtime data files. Currently, I have a handwritten Makefile system that builds specific files and runs them through this tool. But I'm trying to move the makefile creation and maintenance responsibility back into linux.

CDT requires my build product be an executable, shared library, or static library. I don't want to create any of this. Ideally, I would like a fourth option that calls my tool in place of the GCC archiver. What is the best way to do this?
Re: Custom tool chain [message #1618966 is a reply to message #1618747] Mon, 16 February 2015 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Mathew Benson wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 07:24
Could somebody point me to documentation and/examples on how to integrate a custom tool into the tool chain? Basically, I have a tool that I use to convert specific .o files to runtime data files. Currently, I have a handwritten Makefile system that builds specific files and runs them through this tool. But I'm trying to move the makefile creation and maintenance responsibility back into linux.

CDT requires my build product be an executable, shared library, or static library. I don't want to create any of this. Ideally, I would like a fourth option that calls my tool in place of the GCC archiver. What is the best way to do this?

Have a look at the External Tools menu. You can twist the startup of an external tool in quite many ways, even picking paths to command arguments from the workbench.

I'm using External Tools to run OpenOCD flash write and debug.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Custom tool chain [message #1619305 is a reply to message #1618966] Mon, 16 February 2015 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mathew Benson is currently offline Mathew BensonFriend
I've used external tools before to just call external programs. I don't think this is is a good solution in this case. CDT will still need to create an executable, static lib, or shared lib and I don't want to create any of those. I just want to call the compiler on each .c in my project followed by my tool on each .o. I'm not trying to call my tool on the completed .a. I literally want to replace the gcc linker with my tool, and remove the archiver from being called at all. I do that now in a hand written Makefile. But if I can create a custom build tool chain, I can let CDT manage the Makefile.
Re: Custom tool chain [message #1619534 is a reply to message #1619305] Mon, 16 February 2015 16:53 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Have you set up the project as a Makefile project?
It should not require to stick to the standard targets.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:C++ makefile project calling other files
Next Topic:Adding .a file in Eclipse with MingW compiler
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:08:32 GMT 2024