Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » Building and Deploying Orion
Building and Deploying Orion [message #1590348] Thu, 29 January 2015 00:19 Go to next message
Jon Hunter is currently offline Jon HunterFriend
Hello!
I've been having some issues building Eclipse Orion and deploying my changes to a linux 64 bit server. I started with some very basic changes to the client core (just the web-ide.conf for now) and client ui, then ran the project using the web-ide run config to start my localhost. I see my changes...all good so far.

I've read the material explaining the deployment process for the tycho build, but the lack of commands and a hudson server has been frustrating. So, I haven't been able to replicate a reliable build process. To deploy this to my server I've been using the maven script (started from org.eclipse.orion.server) by using the command:
mvn clean install -P platform-kepler,local-build

This does the trick sometimes, however it takes 50 mins to run through all the downloads, and compile, minify and run tests. Is there a quicker way to build orion with maven? Bear in mind 95% of the changes I want to make are to the client. Is there a different maven script I should run to only compile and build the client?

I've toyed with the Export... function on the Eclipse platform, selected 'Eclipse product', deselected 'Synchronize before exporting', selected 'Export for multiple platforms', clicked next, selected linux (gtk/x84_64), Finish...
This results in the error below:

Processing inclusion from feature org.eclipse.equinox.executable: Unable to find plug-in: org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.200.v20140603-1326. Please check the error log for more details.

What build and deployment process would be best for running orion on a linux centos server?

Thanks in advance!

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2015 00:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Building and Deploying Orion [message #1599627 is a reply to message #1590348] Tue, 03 February 2015 19:30 Go to previous message
Mark Macdonald is currently offline Mark MacdonaldFriend
Hi Jon,

You can build just the client-side project by running this command from the root of the org.eclipse.orion.client repo:
mvn clean install 

It takes about 20 minutes. It can be sped up slightly by omitting a few optional components from the build. Since it sounds like you are only interested in the Orion pages (edit, git, etc) and not standalone files (like the all-in-one editor widget), try this:
mvn -DskipJsdoc -DskipBrowser -DskipEditor -DskipEditorStylers -DskipCompareEditor clean install

As for deploying a build, we just use simple shell scripts. One tip is to keep the server workspace directory in a separate location from the Orion executable itself. This makes it straightforward to upgrade the server to a new build, while preserving all user data: just move or delete the old executable, and unzip a new one.

The server workspace location can be set by editing the orion.ini file, or by passing the -data /your/server/workspace argument to orion at launch.
Previous Topic:Embedding The Orion Editor
Next Topic:esprima
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:31:27 GMT 2024