Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » Documentation for adding new Runtime(Need more information to implement a runtime)
icon5.gif  Documentation for adding new Runtime [message #1587377] Tue, 27 January 2015 09:56 Go to next message
Adam Fowler is currently offline Adam FowlerFriend
Hello all,

I'm looking to build a plugin for a BPMN2 runtime. I just need to restrict the types of Activity, and add few extra configuration parameters here and there.

I've seen the shockwave videos and have the example custom task project, but I'm a little stuck.

The model in the custom task project is significantly different from the one in the video. I've copied/pasted that model, renamed it for my runtime, and then tried following the video to create the genmodel file.

I'm getting this error message:-
The default value literal 'unspecified' must be a valid literal of the attribute's type

I've looked and can't see unspecified anywhere. The only empty string value is for DocumentRoot->ExtendedMetaData->name

If someone has a more up to date cheat sheet, video, or at least an idea of what the issue is that'd be great. Tried searching for the answer, but the only hit I get doesn't seem relevant to my situation.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Documentation for adding new Runtime [message #1587719 is a reply to message #1587377] Tue, 27 January 2015 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hi Adam,

I have been meaning to write some developer documentation (other than the videos) but unfortunately bug fixing has taken precedence. As a result, the code has changed but the documentation hasn't - sorry Sad

The best I can suggest at this time is to look to the existing example plugins. It's probably best to use the jBPM runtime plugin as your template because I'm not even sure the other examples are working properly with all of the recent changes in the editor code, as I haven't tested those recently.

I really, really want to find the time to write some decent developer manual, but as I said bug fixing and release schedules always seem to get in the way.

If you have specific questions, I can point you in the right direction. For example, to limit the types of Activities available on the palette have a look at the <toolPalette> extension point section. Not sure what you mean by "configuration parameters" though - are you talking about User Preferences or BPMN2 element extension attributes/elements?

HTH,
Bob
icon7.gif  Re: Documentation for adding new Runtime [message #1590270 is a reply to message #1587719] Wed, 28 January 2015 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Fowler is currently offline Adam FowlerFriend
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. By customer parameters I mean attributes for extra configuration items. E.g. in my use case I may customise the User Task to allow specification of a group/user account to assign the task to.

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the jBPM runtime. Don't know why that didn't occur to me - it's been a long week!

I'll be sure to take you up on the offer of pointers. I'll also take copious notes and write down hints. Happy to share these back offline too to help your docs efforts.

Thanks,

Adam.
Re: Documentation for adding new Runtime [message #1591518 is a reply to message #1590270] Thu, 29 January 2015 15:27 Go to previous message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

You're welcome Smile

BTW, take a look at the Runtime Extension schema file org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.core/schema/org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.exsd (use the "Preview Reference Document" link on the top-right corner of the Eclipse Extension Point Schema Editor.) This contains some useful information about the extension points. One thing you may want to try right away, is to use a ".bpmn2config" file to test out your extensions. Essentially, you can just paste the XML snippets that would normally go into your extension's plugin.xml, into XML files in a folder called ".bpmn2config" in your runtime workbench. Once you get those working as you like, you can paste them back into your plugin.xml.

Note that some extensions may require a restart of the editor (not necessarily the workbench) to take effect. Also note that if you change the extension attributes & elements from one editor session to the next, you may not be able to open existing bpmn2 files created with the old extensions, since the parser won't recognize the old elements & attributes anymore.

Cheers,
Bob
Previous Topic:how to create an image on a server
Next Topic:Add new workflow pattern
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 17:37:54 GMT 2024