Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Newspaper Layout with dynamic row height and grouping
Newspaper Layout with dynamic row height and grouping [message #1561121] Tue, 13 January 2015 00:54 Go to next message
Kenneth Ah Young is currently offline Kenneth Ah YoungFriend
Hello,

I'm working on a project which uses BIRT to render a report document. The report requires a Newspaper layout.

I've looked around and found many resources about Newspaper layouts with BIRT and noticed an active bug at bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=133218

There are many workarounds involving fixed row heights, multiple tables and filters, however the report that we are using has dynamic row heights and also groups data based on a category.

We have one data-set to get a list of items. Each item contains a 'Category' property, which is used to group them on the report.

How can this be achieved with BIRT (v 4.4.0)?

Thanks.
Re: Newspaper Layout with dynamic row height and grouping [message #1579630 is a reply to message #1561121] Fri, 23 January 2015 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

I created an example for this once that requires counting of characters and average characters per row to make assumptions on the distance down the page. I'll look for that example. I was able to get newspaper layout with grouping to work with this method. I'll post a link if I find it. Otherwise I can help recreate it.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Newspaper Layout with dynamic row height and grouping [message #1579643 is a reply to message #1561121] Fri, 23 January 2015 03:27 Go to previous message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

I found a version of it. This was not the latest and was made in BIRT Designer Professional, so you might get an error when running the report, but it still executes. This should give you an idea of a way to do it. This separates the original data set into individual rows in a new data set to allow for the standard method of a newspaper layout to work. Let me know if you have questions on what was done.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Previous Topic:Loosing Display Name in Output Columns
Next Topic:Highlight cell background
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:53:34 GMT 2024