Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Project Proposals » New Project Proposal: eGerrit
New Project Proposal: eGerrit [message #1516354] Thu, 18 December 2014 20:56 Go to next message
Wayne Beaton is currently offline Wayne BeatonFriend
EGerrit provides a set of Eclipse plug-ins that provide Gerrit code review integration and capabilities in the Eclipse IDE.

https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/egerrit
Re: New Project Proposal: eGerrit [message #1553499 is a reply to message #1516354] Thu, 08 January 2015 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam Davis is currently offline Sam DavisFriend
Without commenting on the proposal from an organizational or community perspective, I'd like to correct some of the technically inaccurate statements about Mylyn. The proposal gives the impression that the Context UI (AKA the Task Focused Interface or TFI) imposes a burden on users and developers of the Gerrit connector but this is not true.

In fact, the Gerrit connector can be used without even having the TFI installed. If users do install the TFI, they can still use the Gerrit connector without activating the TFI. The Mylyn top-level project consists of several different sub-projects with different goals. The goal of the Mylyn Tasks project is specifically to provide frameworks for connecting to task/bug/review systems like Gerrit.

The TFI is provided by Mylyn Context, which is a separate project. The statement that developers of the Gerrit connector need to maintain features of the TFI is therefore not true.

The Mylyn Reviews project provides frameworks and UI specifically for performing code review in Eclipse. The Gerrit connector leverages that but the frameworks were designed with the goal of supporting other code review systems as well.

Using Mylyn Reviews as a "host framework" for the Gerrit connector does not "hamper" the development of code review-specific features. On the contrary, by decoupling the UI from the frequently changing Gerrit API, it makes it possible to support multiple Gerrit versions and to evolve the UI independently.

Does the EGerrit project also aim to support code review systems other than Gerrit, or will it only support Gerrit? The first paragraph (which, incidentally, is partly copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_review) suggests that it might support other systems too.

Finally, it's misleading to compare EGerrit to JDT and CDT to suggest that we could implement a Mylyn integration on top of EGerrit. JDT and CDT provide programming language tooling, which is not within the scope of the Mylyn project and frameworks. A better comparison is the Eclipse Bugzilla integration, which is implemented as a Mylyn connector built on the Mylyn frameworks rather than being a separate project.
Re: New Project Proposal: eGerrit [message #1555190 is a reply to message #1553499] Fri, 09 January 2015 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominique Toupin is currently offline Dominique ToupinFriend
Yes this project will only support Gerrit, the name of the project is "EGerrit" and the scope is "EGerrit provides a set of Eclipse plug-ins that provide Gerrit code review integration and capabilities in the Eclipse IDE". We have to optimize everything towards Git and Gerrit to ensure companies like Ericsson, Google, SAP, etc. and Eclipse committers can do reviews faster with Eclipse compared to leaving Eclipse to go on the Gerrit Web UI.

Re: New Project Proposal: eGerrit [message #1555277 is a reply to message #1553499] Fri, 09 January 2015 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
I agree; I use several Mylyn connectors all the time without ever using the TFI. The effort of bootstrapping an entirely new project seems like it would be better spent improving the Mylyn connector and helping Mylyn's review concepts improve, using gerrit as a driver for framework evolution.

This proposal has a certain amount of "revinventing the wheel" smell to it.

That is not to say that I don't think top-notch gerrit support inside Eclipse is a poor idea; on the contrary it's something I would look forward to. I just think the approach should be one of engagement with the Mylyn team rather than a completely separate effort.
Re: New Project Proposal: eGerrit [message #1555481 is a reply to message #1555277] Fri, 09 January 2015 21:07 Go to previous message
Dominique Toupin is currently offline Dominique ToupinFriend
@Eric,
For this project to be successful it is more important to be aligned/optimized towards Git/EGit, Gerrit.
I also love Mylyn but after a few years of trying to to achieve this in Mylyn we have to move on.
Previous Topic:New Project Proposal: Proteus Android Tooling
Next Topic:Standarize junit navigation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:53:21 GMT 2024