Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Why is C99 mode not enabled by default(C99 mode off by default seems to be poor design choice.)
Why is C99 mode not enabled by default [message #1488821] Wed, 26 November 2014 23:34
Diego Farias is currently offline Diego FariasFriend
I don't understand why a beginning programmer would NOT want C99 mode on. It seems to me that the only people who would want C99 mode off are more advanced programmers. I think it'd be smart to put the burden of figuring out how to turn it OFF on them, instead of putting the burden of figuring out how to turn it ON on new programmers that have already dealt with a couple of hours of frustration getting the CDT to work at this point.

I say this as a newbie. I have just spent about 2 hours trying to get an extremely simple program to build. Mad Having to figure out all the minutia of how to get the eclipse CDT to work (having to set path variables is one thing, but having to tell eclipse where to find the makefile, having to set binary parsers and error parsers, etc, is another completely) is very annoying and discouraging for a beginner.

Is there a reason to having it off by default?
Previous Topic:Debugger variables view problem (Luna SR1)
Next Topic:Question on how to setup a debug project for Open MPI source code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:41:19 GMT 2024