Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Bordered Nodes pinning not shared between layers
Bordered Nodes pinning not shared between layers [message #1487250] Tue, 25 November 2014 17:52 Go to next message
Stéphane Seyvoz is currently offline Stéphane SeyvozFriend
Hi,

Here is a small problem I just encountered.

I have Nodes inside a Container Node, and those Nodes host some Bordered Nodes.
My configuration starts with the "Default" layer and another "Extended" layer configured as "Optional" and "Active by Default". All "Default" layer Nodes, Container Nodes and Bordered Nodes mappings are "imported" and "reused"untouched in the "Extended" one, and some layer-specific graphical elements are added according to my semantical model.

Step 1 : Positioning Bordered Nodes manually with drag'n'drop auto-pin or manually pinning others, everything is fine.

Step 2 : Enabling/disabling layers, Nodes stay at the same place consistently, but my Bordered Nodes pinned in Step 1 changed positions unexpectedly !

Step3 : Switching back to the original Step 1 layers configuration, my Bordered Nodes are back in place, pinned as Step 1 result (the information has apparently been stored and restored).

Note: If I start from a state where my optional layer is disabled at the start, doing the same 3 steps the behavior is the same, which leads me to think the problem is independent to imports and reused mappings.

- Is it expected for imported bordered nodes pinning info not to be shared between layers as Step 2 result ? Or is it a bug I should report ?
- Considering that Nodes positioning is consistent between layers, shouldn't it be the same with Bordered Nodes ?
- Is there something I could do to implement such pinning information sharing between layers, so as for my pinned bordered nodes position to be consistent on layer activation/deactivation ?

Best regards,

Stephane

[Updated on: Tue, 25 November 2014 18:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bordered Nodes pinning not shared between layers [message #1487276 is a reply to message #1487250] Tue, 25 November 2014 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Additional info:

If I start my test with the "Extended" layer disabled, only the "Default" one, then enable the "Extended" layer and pin an imported Bordered Node, then come back to "Default", then enable back "Extended", the pinning info is lost and the imported Bordered Node is back to its position in the "Default" one, and unpinned: this is worse than my original "imported bordered nodes" issue since there's a loss of information.

If I do the same with a non-imported (hence "Extended layer specific") Bordered Node and do the same operation, its position is still not shared obviously (since it doesn't exist in "Default") but kept and it's pinned back when re-enabling the "Extended" layer.

This confirms the idea of local layer pinning and positioning storage, and hints that a possible bug may only affect imported/reused bordered nodes.

Don't know what to do with that though Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 25 November 2014 18:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bordered Nodes pinning not shared between layers [message #1488119 is a reply to message #1487250] Wed, 26 November 2014 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Barbin is currently offline Florian BarbinFriend
Hi Stéphane,

According to your description it looks like a bug. When activating a
layer, elements extended by import mappings are just updated and not
recreated. For instance, if a layer defines an import mapping modifying
a border node style, the GMF Node is still the same but the style is
updated (that's why the location should be kept).

In your case it seems that border nodes are recreated instead of being
updated.
Can you provide us more details about what is exactly redefined within
your import mapping ?

Regards,

Florian

On 11/25/2014 06:52 PM, Stéphane Seyvoz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a small problem I just encountered.
>
> I have Nodes inside a Container Node, and those Nodes host some Bordered
> Nodes.
>
> Step 1 : Positioning Bordered Nodes manually with drag'n'drop auto-pin
> or manually pinning others, everything is fine.
>
> Step 2 : Enabling/disabling layers, Nodes stay at the same place
> consistently, but my imported Bordered Nodes that I pinned in Step 1
> changed positions, which is quite unexpected to me, and the object of
> this mail.
>
> Step3 : Switching back to the original Step 1 layers configuration, my
> Bordered Nodes are back in place, pinned as Step 1 result (the
> information has apparently been stored and restored).
>
> Note: My configuration starts with my default layer and another layer
> configured as "Optional" and "Active by Default". If I start from a
> state where my optional layer is disabled at the start, doing the same 3
> steps the behavior is the same.
>
> - Is it expected for imported bordered nodes pinning info not to be
> shared between layers as Step 2 result ? Or is it a bug I should report ?
> - Considering that Nodes positioning is consistent between layers,
> shouldn't it be the same with Bordered Nodes ?
> - Is there something I could do to implement such pinning information
> sharing between layers, so as for my pinned bordered nodes position to
> be consistent on layer activation/deactivation ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stephane

--
Florian - Obeo

Need professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Bordered Nodes pinning not shared between layers [message #1488544 is a reply to message #1488119] Wed, 26 November 2014 18:02 Go to previous message
Since you told me about nodes being recreated instead of imported, I took some time to check the imported and reused elements of my layer, and managed to get the synchronization back. It seems I had over-used Imported and Reused mappings... Cleaning up / simplifying / re-designing piece by piece did the trick.

However the work is still in progress and I'm still trying to get everything running with the new design, a few other things are broken right now and I need to clear out what can be fixed...

Thanks for the helping suggestion.
Previous Topic:Auto Resize Nodes which are defined as Square Style
Next Topic:Custom Edge Styling - Avoid obstructions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 22:45:13 GMT 2024