Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » backward history -- alt + left -- only working sometimes(I cannot return to where I was after F3 (goto declaration))
backward history -- alt + left -- only working sometimes [message #1479626] Wed, 19 November 2014 15:43 Go to next message
Ralph Cook is currently offline Ralph CookFriend
When editing java class files in eclipse, I can put my editing cursor on a class name and press F3, and it would take me to the java file containing the declaration for that class.

I also used to be able to then press alt+left, and it would take me back to the location where I was when I pressed F3.

I'm at a new job with a new eclipse (Kepler) installation, and it doesn't do that. It takes me somewhere, but not back to the previous editor location.

I find it incredibly annoying not to be able to leave my editor for this purpose without having to remember (or write down) where I was so I can get back.

I've checked the key bindings, and the key is bound to "backward history", so it isn't that it is bound to something else. It's as if the F3 operation is not registering with eclipse as an occasion to push the current location onto whatever stack of locations it uses for this.

Does anyone else experience this, or better yet know how to set it to its previous behavior?
Re: backward history -- alt + left -- only working sometimes [message #1479895 is a reply to message #1479626] Wed, 19 November 2014 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
It takes me somewhere, but not back to the previous editor location.

Sometimes there are intermediate locations that are recorded in the navigation history, e.g., position 0 of the file to which you navigated using F3.
Where does it take you when you hit alt+left again (and again)?

best,
Stephan

Re: backward history -- alt + left -- only working sometimes [message #1479920 is a reply to message #1479895] Wed, 19 November 2014 21:13 Go to previous message
Ralph Cook is currently offline Ralph CookFriend
If I am in module A, move to module B to do something, then use F3 to open module C, alt-Left (at least sometimes) takes me to A. alt-right will THEN take me to B (again at least sometimes).
Previous Topic:Go to class + line from exception stacktrace
Next Topic:javadoc + uml class diagrams
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:47:45 GMT 2024