Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Stopped Working(Eclipse stopped working after patch update for windows 7)
Eclipse Stopped Working [message #1428870] Mon, 22 September 2014 13:39 Go to next message
Richard Davy is currently offline Richard DavyFriend
I have two different versions of eclipse that both quit working on me, I am using windows 7 home premium, the versions of eclipse that I have are Eclipse Luna 4.4 and Eclipse Juno. I have done the following things to correct the error but I am not getting a crash report or anything. In the following order I have tried:

Restarting my computer,
Deleting eclipse and reinstalling,

From command running
Eclipse.exe -clean
Eclipse.exe -clean -clearPersistedState
Eclipse.exe -debug

I have also checked my JAVA_HOME environment variable which is properly set, and the PATH environment
Variable which is also properly set. Still not sure what is going on.

I did Find a report on my windows compatibility checker saying that the application
is incompatible with windows and the repair the issue section failed to repair it.
I do know that two days ago I was working in the eclipse environment without a problem.
When I got home yesterday my machine showed that there had been new updates installed. I
didn't have any issues until yesterday. So I guess my next question is how do I find what
made the application incompatible with my machine, and if it was the updates how do I reverse
them so that I can get my IDE back
so It just doesn't make any sense to do so if I could somehow manage to get eclipse working
again.

all give me the same result, a quick flicker of what I imagine is the Eclipse splash screen and that is it, so my question is where might I find a crash or debug report (if one is generated by eclipse) other wise does any on have any idea what may be happening.

I have tried running eclipse.exe and eclipse from the command prompt with -console I am still getting the same thing, the console box will popup with the eclipse splash screen and then quickly disappear. I have found an incompatibility report that doesn't give any details as to what has caused it to be incompatible. It has also failed to repair the issue, also I think that this was brought on by a windows update, because the application worked the day before this issue started and now it doesn't.
Re: Eclipse Stopped Working [message #1428917 is a reply to message #1428870] Mon, 22 September 2014 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

From the command line, try specifying java.exe as the JVM with the -vm switch along with -consoleLog, e.g. eclipse.exe -vm "c:\java\bin\java.exe" -consoleLog .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse Stopped Working [message #1429021 is a reply to message #1428917] Mon, 22 September 2014 17:41 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Many applications will put stuff on your system PATH, including sometimes a JVM. To avoid any such potential interference from system changes, it's recommended to specify to Eclipse exactly the JVM (preferably, a JDK) that you want it to run in. See the instructions at https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini
Previous Topic:Getting Eclipse to run
Next Topic:Find matching brace or parenthesis
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:57:16 GMT 2024