Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » information on Eclipse BIRT(technical information)
information on Eclipse BIRT [message #1407854] Wed, 13 August 2014 16:12 Go to next message
Andrea Chicca is currently offline Andrea ChiccaFriend
Hello everyone,
I am interested in the solution Eclipse BIRT, I would like some information on Eclipse BIRT that I did not understand on the website and that I have been able to give the instant messaging service:
1) Eclipse BIRT version is Open Source and free, and Actuate BIRT is the commercial version?
2) What is the difference, with respect to functionality (eg Reporting, Dasboards, OLAP analysis, etc. ..) for Eclipse BIRT and Actuate BIRT?
3) with respect to the architecture, what are the modules that make up Eclipse BIRT? These modules are the same Actuate BIRT?

thank you very much for your attention!

Andrea Chicca
Re: information on Eclipse BIRT [message #1407899 is a reply to message #1407854] Wed, 13 August 2014 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Kacandes is currently offline Peter KacandesFriend
Hi Andrea,

1) Yes, that is correct, however, Actuate has also now introduced a Freemium server called F-Type, so you can develop your reports with either the eclipse BIRT or Actuate BD Pro and deploy them on the F-type server for free now. So long as you stay below 50Mb/day output (input is unlimited) it is free. You can buy incremental capacity beyond that on a small incremental subscription basis.

For more information on the free F-type server for deploying OS BIRT designs check out:
http://developer.actuate.com/ftype/

2) With regard to the differences between OS BIRT and Actuate BIRT there is a table with a side by side listing of features in this pdf document:
http://www.actuate.com/be/download/birt-designers-comparison-table.pdf

With regard to the F-type freemium server vs. Actuate BIRT iHub, the main difference is the rate limiting for free usage. There are a very few highly technical features related to very large deployments that are not included in the F-type. If those features are critical to your deployment, then you would need the full commercial iHub platform. You can always start with the free F-type server and if your applications becomes large enough to require those features, then you can easily move it over to the iHub. That's a big advantage of starting with F-type rather than trying to create your own deployment platform from scratch.

3) It depends on what you mean by modules. There is certainly much shared code but there are also many instances where the code bases are separate. For instances, in some cases Actuate BIRT may include a commercial library that cannot be shared as open source due to licensing constraints whereas OS BIRT would use an open source library.

Re: information on Eclipse BIRT [message #1409516 is a reply to message #1407899] Mon, 18 August 2014 09:55 Go to previous message
Andrea Chicca is currently offline Andrea ChiccaFriend
Hello !!
First of all, thank you so much for letting me respond.
I'm confused! Eclipse BIRT is a suite of Business Intelligence? If so, for modules, I mean the components that make up the structure of Eclipse BIRT (eg: Module to create Report, Module for ETL, Module for the Analysis OLAP etc. ..). Please let you help me?

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2014 09:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Information Eclipse BIRT
Next Topic:Capabilities of Eclipse BIRT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:38:04 GMT 2024