Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » application configuration management
application configuration management [message #1349745] Mon, 12 May 2014 10:29 Go to next message
davide . is currently offline davide .Friend
Hi all. In my application I need to store some configuration information (e.g.: default folder where to store files, default folder from where to read csv files, set defaults for options, ...)
This data can indeed be handled using a specific form to input/save/delete this data, stored in a one-row table of the database.
But we all know that configuration processes and data access have some special use cases: admin privileges needed, hierarchical grouping of related config settings, storing on db (so on the server side) or in a text file (on the client side)...
Complexity we can be see for example in the gui widgets and load/store mechanics that is available in the android platform.

So, I'm asking if there is any specific way or best practice to input/save/retrieve configuration information in the scout platform

thanks in advance!
Re: application configuration management [message #1353990 is a reply to message #1349745] Wed, 14 May 2014 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reto Aschwanden is currently offline Reto AschwandenFriend
Hi,

you might want to subclass org.eclipse.scout.commons.prefs.AbstractPreferences and create your specific implementation. Your own IUserPreferenceStorageService implementation should in its loadPreferences() method then load such instances.

Storing preferences in the database is recommended. If you ever need to migrate some preferences, you are in trouble if they are stored on the client. Since there will potentially be a lot of UI preference changes (column width adjustments e.g.), pushing accumulated changes async to the database periodically is probably a good idea.

Best wishes
Reto
Re: application configuration management [message #1354451 is a reply to message #1349745] Wed, 14 May 2014 09:03 Go to previous message
Bertin Kiekebosch is currently offline Bertin KiekeboschFriend
Hi,

for configuration options that do not change the best option is to use the config.ini from the server.

For configuration options that are more dynamic I use a database table and created a normal service to update it.

Regards Bertin
Previous Topic:RAP an Firefox 29
Next Topic:Retrieve a file client resources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:13:08 GMT 2024