Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » JGIT -> How to apply a patch to a file outside a repository
JGIT -> How to apply a patch to a file outside a repository [message #1288082] Tue, 08 April 2014 09:02 Go to next message
Juan Pablo Barani is currently offline Juan Pablo BaraniFriend
I am building a solution to update files for a certain software in Java. I want to create something like the diff/patch Unix functionality, but with Java, for files that are directly in a FS, that is, outside a repository.

At the moment, I could easily get a Diff with JGit by using the following code:

public static EditList computeDifferencesGit(final File p_fileOld,
                                             final File p_fileNew) throws IOException
{
    RawText l_contentFileOld = new RawText(p_fileOld);
    RawText l_contentFileNew = new RawText(p_fileNew);

EditList l_listDiffs = new EditList();
    l_listDiffs.addAll(new HistogramDiff().diff(RawTextComparator.DEFAULT, l_contentFileOld, l_contentFileNew));

String l_strUnidiff = _getUnidiff(l_contentFileOld, l_contentFileNew, l_listDiffs);
    System.out.println("UNIDIFF:\n" + l_strUnidiff);

return l_listDiffs;
}

However, I would like to apply the results of that diff to a third file as a patch.

I investigated and found there is an ApplyCommand class in JGit package. However, to instantiate it, I think I need a repository, which I don't have.

Any idea about how can I apply the patch to the file?

Thanks!
Re: JGIT -> How to apply a patch to a file outside a repository [message #1288284 is a reply to message #1288082] Tue, 08 April 2014 12:34 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
ApplyCommand uses the repository to locate the working tree defining the root folder for applying the patch.
So you could add a second constructor accepting this root path to enable using the ApplyCommand without a repository.
If you want to contribute this patch follow the contributor guide [1].

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Using_Gerrit_at_https:.2F.2Fgit.eclipse.org.2Fr
Previous Topic:Clone Gist failed
Next Topic:Git Staging: No repository selected
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:26:33 GMT 2024