Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Texo] Project status and ease of development
[Texo] Project status and ease of development [message #1269198] Tue, 11 March 2014 14:05 Go to next message
Michał Ćmil is currently offline Michał ĆmilFriend
Hello,

I was interested in contributing to the Texo project, but quite frankly I've ran into a lot of complications even during the development environment setup (from unavailable dependencies, obscure exceptions, buckminster issues to absolute '/home/user/mydata/dev/workspaces/texo' paths in the repository). Is there a guide (which I missed) for the environment setup besides the https://wiki.eclipse.org/Texo/Developing wiki page?

A little bit more information about the setup process would be great, for instance:
* recommended version of the used tools (JDK, Eclipse, Buckminster plugin),
* tutorial for importing the project to a fresh eclipse installation along with running the tests and starting the demo app,
* information about the required properties that should be defined (in buckminster scripts, epf file)

I'm also wondering about the project status: there were no commits during the last quarter (at least according to http://git.eclipse.org/c/texo/org.eclipse.emf.texo.git/log/) and there is only one active developer (the author himself). Are they any plans for the future development of Texo, or currently no major work is planned? I'm just interested if the project is in use and alive before I will incorporate it in my code with some custom changes (I need to make them to fully support persisting of entities with many-to-one relation).

I would appreciate any information about the planned future of the project.

Best Regards,
Michal

Re: [Texo] Project status and ease of development [message #1269330 is a reply to message #1269198] Tue, 11 March 2014 18:22 Go to previous message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Michal,
Thanks for your interest. Indeed it has been a few months since I had the time to actively work on Texo. In the meantime
I answer questions on the newsgroup. You can find posts at least once a week, often more, on Texo. I got a bit stuck
with the latest changes I did for xcore support. Therefore nothing happened for a while.

I am the only active committer on this project. I would like more contributors ofcourse. But I noticed that in general
it is hard for people to actively participate in open source projects. Users do provide detailed bugzillas with proposed
code changes, but active committing is another thing.

To give some background information on the project. A main inspiration for Texo is the work I do as a software architect
in the business web app space, for example for an open source ERP solution (Openbravo). That's where ideas like json and
xml web service apis originate from. This is also were details as efficient count operations in query webservices come
from, from actual application development experience in high volume professional business web apps.
The main thing is that Texo is build with the premise to use Ecore as the main modeling language/model.

It is my vision to let Texo grow towards the user interface. However, lack of time and also shifting user interface
technology (now more mobile oriented towards backbone, node js, enjoy, before sencha etc.) make that it takes much more
throughput time then I want. And I also do this next to my work as a functional and technical software architect for ERP
companies.

It would be great to have other people on board, also people willing to spend the time to invest in Texo. The texo
development/test environment is somewhat more complex as it is a 2 layered system, it generates code and orm.xml files
and then runs testcases on top of the generated code.

So yes, Texo is actively supported, and yes mainly by one person (me), and for sure also yes, more committers are more
than welcome!

If you are still interested after the above then let's have direct contact and I can help you setup the dev environment,
updating the wiki along the way. Drop me an email on mtaal_at_elver.org.

gr. Martin

On 03/11/2014 03:15 PM, Michał Ćmil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was interested in contributing to the Texo project, but quite frankly I've ran into a lot of complications even during
> the development environment setup (from unavailable dependencies, obscure exceptions, buckminster issues to absolute
> '/home/user/mydata/dev/workspaces/texo' paths in the repository). Is there a guide (which I missed) for the environment
> setup besides the https://wiki.eclipse.org/Texo/Developing wiki page?
> A little bit more information about the setup process would be great, for instance:
> * recommended version of the used tools (JDK, Eclipse, Buckminster plugin), * tutorial for importing the project to a
> fresh eclipse installation along with running the tests and starting the demo app,
> * information about the required properties that should be defined (in buckminster scripts, epf file)
>
> I'm also wondering about the project status: there were no commits during the last quarter (at least according to
> http://git.eclipse.org/c/texo/org.eclipse.emf.texo.git/log/) and there is only one active developer (the author
> himself). Are they any plans for the future development of Texo, or currently no major work is planned? I'm just
> interested if the project is in use and alive before I will incorporate it in my code with some custom changes (I need
> to make them to fully support persisting of entities with many-to-one relation).
>
> I would appreciate any information about the planned future of the project.
> Best Regards,
> Michal
>
>

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Previous Topic:Source code translation with models
Next Topic:[EMFForms] How to enable creation and linking of Reference Features when embedding the Editor?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:16:43 GMT 2024