Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Gemini » Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active?
Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265532] Thu, 06 March 2014 08:13 Go to next message
Mickael Marrache is currently offline Mickael MarracheFriend
Hi,

I'm going to ask a silly question but I've just seen someone well known in the OSGi industry say on StackOverflow that the Eclipse Gemini project stopped for some reason.

I saw this after designing a big applications with Eclipse Gemini Blueprint.

During my first research, I started with Spring DM and I then understood the project moved to the Eclipse Fundation.

Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active?

Also, some people push toward using Declarative Services? What's the difference between Bluepring and Declarative Services?

Thanks,
Mickael
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265547 is a reply to message #1265532] Thu, 06 March 2014 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Please could you provide a link to the stack overflow item.
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265563 is a reply to message #1265547] Thu, 06 March 2014 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't paste the link in this reply (I get the following message "You can only use links to eclipse.org sites while you have fewer than 5 messages."...).

The title of the post on StackOverflow is "How to mix Spring and blueprint in OSGi container?".

I may misunderstand what it is said there so I quote the relevant part:

Quote:
Actually Spring DM was renamed Gemini Blueprint, and is still the RI (Reference Implementation) for the Blueprint specification. However Gemini is essentially abandonware now since VMware stopped working on it and left the OSGi Alliance.

Mickael
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265609 is a reply to message #1265563] Thu, 06 March 2014 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Thanks. Here's the link for anyone who wishes to comment there.
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265653 is a reply to message #1265609] Thu, 06 March 2014 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any reply to my question?
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265686 is a reply to message #1265653] Thu, 06 March 2014 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Lorenz is currently offline Sebastian LorenzFriend
Hi,
I'm also wondering about the state of the Gemini project. We created a product based on Gemini Blueprint and Gemini JPA. Additionally most of the clients for our products are either based on Eclipse RCP or RAP. With some concern we are observing the following problems/trends in the Gemini/Eclipse and more general the OSGi world:
- The Gemini projects are looking for new project leaders in the community while former leaders with close ties to the OSGi foundation are stepping back.
- P2 is the quasi standard to distribute bundles in the Eclipse world but it is hard to find the resources you are looking for. There is no central repository as with Maven. Some bundles are available on Maven, some on a P2 repo somewhere and some others can be downloaded from Eclipse websites (remembering me to my early days...). No one seems to care about the overall structure and reputation of Eclipse and Gemini projects.
- The Spring bundle repository, a good source for bundles, is already frozen and will be shut down.
- Projects like Spring don't publish their libraries as OSGi bundles any more.
- JBoss removed their OSGi container from its commercial version

I'm wondering what the future of Gemini and OSGi will be.

Regards Sebp
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265690 is a reply to message #1265686] Thu, 06 March 2014 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Lorenz is currently offline Sebastian LorenzFriend
@Mickael: Declarative Services is a way to define and consume OSGi services in a declarative manner. The definition of a service and the consumption is similar to how it is done in Blueprint. The tutorials of Lars Vogel are always a good thing to start with: http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/OSGiServices/article.html#declarativeservices
If you use Gemini Blueprint only to wire services then you could maybe use declarative services for this.
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265697 is a reply to message #1265532] Thu, 06 March 2014 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Sklyut is currently offline Dmitry SklyutFriend
Hello Mickael,

I will take a stab at answering here.

Quote:

Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active?

Yes. Very much so. We are lurking in the shadows and trying to balance work/family with commitment to open source software but we are still here Smile I am currently working towards moving Blueprint to OSGi R4.3 support and 2.0 M3 release.

All of the Gemini projects are very mature and stable. Many of those projects implement OSGi specifications that have not changed in few iterations. There aren't many bugs or many new features that can be added to drastically push them forward. That makes forums fairly quiet and releases are not coming out with speed of other projects.

Quote:

Also, some people push toward using Declarative Services? What's the difference between Bluepring and Declarative Services?

See here -> http://wiki.osgi.org/wiki/Blueprint#Differences_with_Declarative_Services
Main difference is that Blueprint is based on Spring Framework and was created to simplify transition of developers familiar with Spring to OSGi. DS is a bit older and a bit lighter in weight but does not come with tools provided by Spring.

Kind Regards,
Dmitry
Re: Is Eclipse Gemini Blueprint still active? [message #1265777 is a reply to message #1265609] Thu, 06 March 2014 14:42 Go to previous message
Martin Baumgartner is currently offline Martin BaumgartnerFriend
Glyn Normington wrote on Thu, 06 March 2014 05:07
Thanks. Here's the link for anyone who wishes to comment there.

Unluckily, there are multiple posts on SO with people saying Gemini Blueprint isn't active anymore.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20331093/looking-for-a-osgi-capable-dependency-injection-framework-with-support-for-sessi
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20267343/spring-framework-download-as-osgi-bundles/20281765#20281765
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20993870/most-suitable-osgi-platform/21013910#21013910

[Updated on: Thu, 06 March 2014 15:57]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:[Gemini JPA] Storing entities with referenced entities leads to doubled entries
Next Topic:Gemini Blueprint Milestone shipped with OSGi R4.2?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:47:05 GMT 2024