Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Best practices regarding profiles used in multiple projects
Best practices regarding profiles used in multiple projects [message #1235364] Fri, 24 January 2014 06:42 Go to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
I have read the (excellent) "PAPYRUS USER GUIDE SERIES About UML profiling, version 1.0.0" document and I have worked for some time now with a couple of homegrown profiles.

In the beginning I had the profile(s) in a separate project because I believed that was the way to do it, and the examples en the document also suggests this. But when updating the profile I lost already applied stereotypes, and then I found that if I stored the profile in the same project as the models where it is applied it worked.

I also along the work got a reply on another related issue stating that an update to Papyrus 0.1.0 would fix some related issues, but I never thought about/dared moving the profiles out again because I didn't want to affect my delivery scheme.

Now I simply would like to confirm (before I start messing things up) that there are no issues in having profiles in a separate project?

Also, in general, is there anything in the mentioned document that actually does not work? One thing I know is that I have had problems with adding icons and in the document it seems to be working alright.

Regards,
Tomas Sandkvist
Re: Best practices regarding profiles used in multiple projects [message #1236935 is a reply to message #1235364] Tue, 28 January 2014 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Hardy is currently offline Johan HardyFriend

I don't think it should be a problem to have a profile in another project. You can make references from a project to another by the way (it's a Eclipse project basics).
I even put a profile in a plugin and I manage the update of the profile as well as the plugin itself. In this case, the plugin is an extension of papyrus and your profile is available in the profile list of papyrus. If interested, refer to : http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/625600/

Regards;
Johan
Re: Best practices regarding profiles used in multiple projects [message #1238139 is a reply to message #1235364] Fri, 31 January 2014 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Furkan Eke is currently offline Furkan EkeFriend
There are several issues in refactoring.

1) If you need to rename the 3-tuple <di, notation, uml> in project explorer right click rename on "model" object, papyrus gives you an error "being not able to
refactor the UML metamodel" why is it trying to refactor the uml metamodel?

i can not give the exact error message because i had to refactor all three files manually.

2) After refactoring a profile which a model is depending on, working on the depending model and trying to save the dependent model, you get the funny dialog,
which informs you about bad things are happening:

"Some resources used by the model <dependentmodelname> have changed. Do you want to reopen the current editor? Unsaved changes will be lost?"

So what now? Ok or cancel? cancel brings the same dialog, after 3 clicks on cancel the file is saved, the editor is not closed and reopened, but if i lost something?
Re: Best practices regarding profiles used in multiple projects [message #1238151 is a reply to message #1235364] Fri, 31 January 2014 14:22 Go to previous message
Furkan Eke is currently offline Furkan EkeFriend
another issue in refactoring:

3) If you have an irrelevant project in the workspace which has unsaved changes, and want to refactor a papyrus project, you get an error. Maybe this can give a clue for developers on all the above problems.

[Updated on: Fri, 31 January 2014 14:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:[SOLVED] How to reorder stereotype properties in profile diagram?
Next Topic: Problem with SoaML and Activiti BPM (linking) plz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 19:15:19 GMT 2024