Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Eclipse 4 application model strategies(Eclipse 4 application model strategies)
Eclipse 4 application model strategies [message #1219771] Thu, 05 December 2013 17:33 Go to next message
Joseph Gagnon is currently offline Joseph GagnonFriend
I'm looking for ideas and strategies for the structure of an eclipse 4 application I am writing. The basic premise of the application is that it will provide the ability for users to view message traffic passing between various sites. The message content is irrelevant for the purposes of this question. Major functions available to the user will be:

1 - Monitor "live" message traffic. They can choose to see incoming, outgoing, both directions (in separate views) or messages in time sequence. Each message intercepted will be displayed as it's received. In the case of the choice of both directions, a view for incoming and a view for outgoing will be displayed simultaneously.
    2 - View "past" messages. They can choose to view incoming, outgoing or time sequenced messages. In this case, there will only be one "view" of messages at a given time. The user is also provided with navigation buttons to move from message to message, with the ability to go to the start, end, previous or next message.
    3 - A search capability that will provide the user with the ability to select a set of search criteria and then execute the search. The search results will then be displayed and accessed in the same manner as in bullet 2.

The application is a rewrite of an existing application to provides the same basic functionality. The existing application has a single window where the UI of the selected function (i.e. monitor or view) occupies the window main area. There is a status message field at the bottom that is always there and periodically displays information of interest. The main "view" is changed by the user selecting from a menu and choosing the major function (monitor or view) and then the specific filter (incoming, outgoing, etc.). I do not believe that the new application needs to follow this layout and presentation scheme. With that said, I've spent some time trying to figure out the best way structure the application (at the eclipse 4 application model level) to best match how it's presented now. I've thought of a number of possibilities, but so far none seem to fit the bill (hence the reason for this question).

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions regarding an overall presentation and layout strategy with the intent to reproduce the current behavior. I would also like to hear ideas about alternative ways the application could be presented to the user. Any details about how to do this in the context of an eclipse 4 application (i.e. the "parts" of the application model and how they should be structured) would also be very much appreciated.
Re: Eclipse 4 application model strategies [message #1219853 is a reply to message #1219771] Fri, 06 December 2013 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I can just say that the IEventBroker looks like a good candidade to throw events back and forth. The parts can listen to these events and react accordingly.
Re: Eclipse 4 application model strategies [message #1219874 is a reply to message #1219853] Fri, 06 December 2013 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joseph Gagnon is currently offline Joseph GagnonFriend
Yes, I was planning on using that facility for that purpose.

As far as the usage of E4 UI model components (i.e. parts, part stacks, etc.), I'm trying to get an idea of how best to organize the UI superstructure. Again, this is in the context of making it look and behave like the original, as well as any alternative ideas.
Re: Eclipse 4 application model strategies [message #1221041 is a reply to message #1219874] Mon, 16 December 2013 18:59 Go to previous message
Eric Moffatt is currently offline Eric MoffattFriend

Joseph, can you attach a screen shot of the original app you're trying to mimic (even a mockup would likely suffice).
Previous Topic:CompatibilityEditor usage
Next Topic:Is it possible to retrieve MPart's bounds?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:24:24 GMT 2024