Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Requirements Modeling Framework  » Requirements with "no pure text" as Description
Requirements with "no pure text" as Description [message #1174790] Thu, 07 November 2013 10:09 Go to next message
Carlhermann Schlehaus is currently offline Carlhermann SchlehausFriend
Hi,
as my specification is not limited to pure textual requirements, I need to have the "description" more variable.

Assume one requirement to be, that a digital out should reflect a digital input. This is easy to define as a pure textual requirement. This would "give" a requirement as
"The level of Output Pin xyz shall reflect the level at Input Pin abc" - no problem to define this requirement (just typing work).

Another requirement might be, that a digital counter shall increment in a non-linear relation to a timescale, most easy and most precise defined by a diagram. Can I include this diagram as a picture (jpg, bmp,..) into the specification in same colum like the plain text in the first assumption? Do I need a separate column for non textual requirements and what kind of datatype do I have to use (it is neither one of the selectable ones of string, boolean, integer, real, date, enummeration or XHTML)...

Thanks a lot and best regards
Carlhermann

Re: Requirements with "no pure text" as Description [message #1176461 is a reply to message #1174790] Fri, 08 November 2013 10:49 Go to previous message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hello Carlhermann,

> Do I need a separate column for non textual requirements

No, you don't. But you need two SpecObjectTypes. This is how I would realize this: For each of the two scenarios (plain text and picture), create a dedicated SpecType. Both have an Attribute with the same name (e.g. Description). But these can have different types, e.g. plain text in the first case and XHTML in the second case. As the two attributes have the same name, they will be shown in the same column (in this example in the column named "Description").

> Do I need a separate column for non textual requirements and what kind of datatype do I have to use (it is neither one of the selectable ones of string, boolean, integer, real, date, enummeration or XHTML)...

If I understand correctly, you want a "new" datatype that renders your model element, realized as a custom presentation, right? But you would still use a standard datatype (typically plain text) to store the reference to the element you want to show. You would then activate the presentation, so that something else is rendered (typically the content of the referenced element).

This idea is elaborated here: http://formalmind.com/en/blog/using-rmf-integrate-your-models

Hope this helps!

- Michael
Previous Topic:Issues with linking
Next Topic:Anti-aliasing in RTF presentation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:54:55 GMT 2024