Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Installing war on tomcat
Installing war on tomcat [message #1164309] Thu, 31 October 2013 15:39 Go to next message
Phill Perryman is currently offline Phill PerrymanFriend
I have seen several posts but I cannot get a war to run under tomcat (7.0.34)

I installed kepler, updated it (check for updates) and installed the war product from the kepler update site. So I am running the latest, released kepler (32 bit windows with 1.6 JRE).

I created a new workspace and a RAP hello world project called test. I ran it as http://127.0.0.1:56403/hello and it launches fine from eclipse.

I created a war file (test), added all the required bundles and validated it (no errors). I created the war file test.war.

I deployed it to Tomcat and get the webapps/test folder ok.

I then try localhost/test/hello and get the usual 404 the requested resource is not available.

I checked the tomcat work/.../test/eclipse/configuration folder and there is no eclipse log file.

I stopped tomcat and deleted all the log files and restarted it, tried the url which failed and then read every log file, there are no discernible errors in any of them.

So as far as I can see there are no errors being reported it just does not work straight out of the box. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Re: Installing war on tomcat [message #1165027 is a reply to message #1164309] Fri, 01 November 2013 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Zapletnev is currently offline Igor ZapletnevFriend
At first, please check troubleshooting page "Exported WAR file does not work" here.

If it does not help, check OSGi console output with "ss" command. All plugins are active? If not, try to start them manually with command "start plugin_id" and when you will get corresponding error for this.
Re: Installing war on tomcat [message #1165326 is a reply to message #1165027] Fri, 01 November 2013 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I went through the help, hello is an rwt app so no pluging.xml or properties, no external libraries, not feature based. No dependency on javax.servlet, no configurator in plugins, no zip logs, the rapdemo link is broken and won't download, I don't have features and yes I do get the catalina work folder with test in it so the war is exporting and deploying OK.

I added the lines to web.xml but I don't get a console anywhere. Do you know how to access the osgi console under windows as this seems to be the only way left to sort out the issue.
Re: Installing war on tomcat [message #1165495 is a reply to message #1165326] Fri, 01 November 2013 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After trying adding almost everything and then removing stuff I have got it to install and run.

For future reference however I would still be interested in how to get to the console of Tomcat under windows, it will save me a day or so when it happens again.
Re: Installing war on tomcat [message #1165937 is a reply to message #1165495] Fri, 01 November 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Knauer is currently offline Markus KnauerFriend

Quote:
For future reference however I would still be interested in how to get to the console of Tomcat under windows, it will save me a day or so when it happens again.

The console requires the org.eclipse.equinox.console and the Felix console bundles. If they are available, it is enough to change the parameters in the WEB-INF/web.xml. E.g. if you add the parameters -console 10000 like this

<init-param>
   <param-name>commandline</param-name>
   <param-value>-registryMultiLanguage -console 10000</param-value>
</init-param>

you can use telnet (on Windows like on every other OS) to connect to your locally running OSGi on port 10000 like this

telnet localhost 10000

--

Twitter: @mknauer23 and @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Installing war on tomcat [message #1219950 is a reply to message #1165937] Sat, 07 December 2013 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincenzo Caselli is currently offline Vincenzo CaselliFriend

Hi Markus,
about the '-console <port>' option, we are experiencing this:
we can connect successfully with the OSGi console, but when we exit from it
Quote:

osgi> exit
Really want to stop Equinox? (y/n; default=y) y

then Tomcat shuts down.
Is this normal or is there a way to just exit the OSGi console?

Thank you
Vincenzo
Re: Installing war on tomcat [message #1220035 is a reply to message #1219950] Mon, 09 December 2013 09:07 Go to previous message
Ralf Sternberg is currently offline Ralf SternbergFriend

Hi Vincenzo,

to exit the Equinox console, you have to type `disconnect`. The `exit`
command shuts down the OSGi container. These command names are indeed
confusing.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Ralf Sternberg

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Previous Topic:Reparent Composite in RAP 2.1. ?
Next Topic:resourcemanager resource order
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:32:35 GMT 2024