Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Website » Mirrors good: ftp bad (for me)
Mirrors good: ftp bad (for me) [message #16229] Mon, 06 February 2006 01:58 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

I can't get FTP behind our firewalls, but I can get HTTP. Plus, HTTP has restartable downloads now, so there's no real benefit to using FTP (provided that you know the name of the file to download, of course).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to filter out the FTP mirrors from the mirrors list, and only select from one that uses HTTP to distribute copies. However, given that I can't do that from the current list of mirrors, I pretty much always go back to eclipse.org to get new downloads.

So a suggestion for the future would be to allow a way of downloading new installs (as opposed to the update manager) so that any mirrors presented were easily identifiable as to whether they were FTP or HTTP.

Just a thought,

Alex.
Re: Mirrors good: ftp bad (for me) [message #16244 is a reply to message #16229] Wed, 08 February 2006 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse Webmaster is currently offline Eclipse WebmasterFriend
Alex,

So you're the one taking up all my bandwidth... I knew it.

The current mirrors list shows HTTP mirrors first in each country, then
the FTP mirrors. There's already a working filter for http/ftp, there's
just no UI to select it. I'll see what I can do.

D.
Re: Mirrors good: ftp bad (for me) [message #16328 is a reply to message #16244] Fri, 17 March 2006 11:49 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

Re: recent discussions about mirror expectations set too high or otherwise, did you ever follow through and raise this as a bug? Let me know, because if not I'll do it and attach it to the mirror expectations bug.

Alex.
Re: Mirrors good: ftp bad (for me) [message #568650 is a reply to message #16229] Wed, 08 February 2006 02:05 Go to previous message
Eclipse Webmaster is currently offline Eclipse WebmasterFriend
Alex,

So you're the one taking up all my bandwidth... I knew it.

The current mirrors list shows HTTP mirrors first in each country, then
the FTP mirrors. There's already a working filter for http/ftp, there's
just no UI to select it. I'll see what I can do.

D.
Re: Mirrors good: ftp bad (for me) [message #568828 is a reply to message #16244] Fri, 17 March 2006 11:49 Go to previous message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex BlewittFriend
Re: recent discussions about mirror expectations set too high or otherwise, did you ever follow through and raise this as a bug? Let me know, because if not I'll do it and attach it to the mirror expectations bug.

Alex.
Previous Topic:_projectCommon.php and the download link
Next Topic:What tool checks for broken links in their Phoenix pages?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:03:01 GMT 2024