Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Hide features on update-site from showing up in a older version of Eclipse(update-site, features,)
Hide features on update-site from showing up in a older version of Eclipse [message #1107797] Thu, 12 September 2013 23:49 Go to next message
Nick Chen is currently offline Nick ChenFriend
I have a feature that used to support only Eclipse 3.6 with a corresponding update-site. I am now upgrading the feature to support Eclipse 4. I would like to use the same update-site. Thus, in that update-site, there will be several versions of the feature; some for Eclipse 3.6 and some for Eclipse 4.3. I would like only versions applicable for Eclipse 3.6 to show up only when I view it in Eclipse 3.6; the same for Eclipse 4.3. Is this possible?

Right now, when I view the update site in Eclipse 3.6 through the Eclipse Help > Install New Software, it shows the features for Eclipse 4.3 as well. Of course, when you try to actually install it, it will fail since it cannot resolve the dependencies. Ideally, I would like to hide those features from Eclipse 3.6 since it cannot install them.

I have tried setting the min version of my required plugins in the feature.xml file. For instance, I have specified that the min version of org.eclipse.ui.ide to be <import plugin="org.eclipse.ui.ide" version="3.9.0" match="greaterOrEqual"/> which corresponds to the version in Eclipse 4.3.

Is there another setting that I can use? Or do I have to use different update-sites?

Thanks!

--
Nick
Re: Hide features on update-site from showing up in a older version of Eclipse [message #1111308 is a reply to message #1107797] Wed, 18 September 2013 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
p2 does not support such a feature because to perform such a job a rather heavy dependency resolution proces would have to be initiated or otherwise it would just be an incorrect guess.
There are several ways to work around this:
- one is to make available only one feature that optionally requires the feature for 4.x and the other for 3.6 and let p2 do the work.
- use different id for the features. This way the user would not find updates..
Re: Hide features on update-site from showing up in a older version of Eclipse [message #1112541 is a reply to message #1111308] Thu, 19 September 2013 21:17 Go to previous message
Nick Chen is currently offline Nick ChenFriend
This is helpful. I think I will proceed by just creating a new update-site that is Eclipse 4.3 specific and leave the older one for Eclipse 3.6.
Previous Topic:Where is the command that replaces the launcher.exe bmps with the ones defined in the .product file
Next Topic:Triggering an Uninstallation of a Feature While Installing Another Feature via Touchpoint Actions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:36:28 GMT 2024